Destined To Be…Far Away?
So, remember last month when I announced I got engaged?! Yes, yes that did happen. And since then the blog has been on snooze a little. Why’s that? Well, we’ve been in wedding frenzy mode.
I always thought I’d be a calm and collected bride with lots of time to figure it all out…Uh yeah. And then, life happened and simultaneously I am engaged, working full time, writing and web-developing part-time and going to grad school part-time. That’s a lot of TIME! Because of my schedule (so self-centered of me , our options were a longer engagement (2+ years) or a shorter engagement (less than a year). For some people a year doesn’t seem short at all, but for us, we envisioned a sweet spot of a year and a half so we could enjoy being engaged before jumping into planning. We quickly learned the way the wedding industry operates – if you have a particular date/time in mind you better lock it in a year in advance (at least)! Stories from other married or engaged friends started trickling in about finding the perfect venue that wasn’t available for 3 years!!! Knowing that we wanted something different helped us eliminate many of these hard-to-snag-venues – not to mention that we are working on a reasonable budget.
We started with preliminary research – ya know, the casual variety. We’d be sitting on the coach catching up on Project Runway…and, oh my, what-have-we-here-but-a-possible-wedding-venue?! From the start I knew what I wanted out of a venue – and that was one not anywhere near Chicago where we currently reside. I didn’t want to brain wash Grant Park. He needed to come to his own decision, especially since there were and will be more naysayers. I wanted us to have a strong front in selecting our venue – one that we both loved!
Eliminated location – farmy wedding idea
Knowing that a destination wedding was where we were leaning, we wanted to have a point of comparison. So, I scheduled some site visits at nearby destination locations (1-4 hours away). In the car we started writing pro/con lists. They were epic! And, even though a far-away-destination had a lot more possible issues, the pro column was miles long. I knew where our hearts lied. Farmy and woodsy could be cute…but just not IT for us.
In Mexico – sunny, warm, beachy!
After visiting the local venues – we knew. Destination ALL THE WAY. So, we started considering locations. Working in our favor were the following:
1. Grant Park LOVES the ocean. I’m proud to have been the one to really introduce him to ocean amazingness.
2. I LOVE warm places. My teeth chatter at 55 degrees.
3. Travel has been a part of our relationship from the start – we started long distance, got engaged in an airport. It feels like a part of our history to have a wedding somewhere else.
4. I don’t like Chicago. There. I said it. Call me crazy, but I just don’t. I’d rather have my memory of my wedding be positive – in a place I’d like to visit again.
5. We don’t want to get married in the sand. This actually eliminates quite a few warm-weather locations. A positive in my book since there are a number of beach-only options out there!
Wondering where we picked?! Stay tuned for my next wedding post to find out.