Holiday Cookie Overload
There was a baking explosion in the MOB world! On Sunday my friend (and GP’s sister) got together to get our cookie on. And, my did we do just that. Almost 5 hours later and 7 batches of cookies and treats, we had quite the spread to pass around to family.
Here’s a list of what we baked and some links to recipes:
- Lacey Oatmeal Crisps
- Matzoh Toffee
- Peppermint Bark
- Christmas M&M cookies
- Almond Crescents
- Corn Crispie Trees
Now let’s talk about how much we followed recipes…not a whole lot. Usually you need to stick close to a recipe if it involves baked goods. Or – at least that’s what I’m told. I think it’s true when it comes to larger items, but when it comes to cookies you can snip a few calorie corners. Here’s what we did:
- Half whole white wheat flour and half all purpose flour (except for the crescent cookies which rely more on the texture).
- Half natural apple sauce and half butter.
- A little extra baking powder to combat the dense wheat flour.
- Egg whites + 1 yolk for most of the batters in place of all whole eggs.
- About 2/3 the amount of sugar called for and a pinch of stevia for white sugar.
- Food coloring and sprinkles for added festive touches, and because sometimes when you love someone you use 2 teaspoons of green dye. 😉
It goes without saying that everyone wants to enjoy the holiday season. Just remember to keep your treats in check. Aim for one or two bites of something sweet, and try not to pack it into one binge day. And when in doubt, wrap your treats up in sweet packages to share.